Field Engineer/Microwave Tower Technician
TowerPros is seeking technically competent Field Engineer/Tower Climbers to build and maintain a sophisticated high performance wireless network in Eastern and Central Pennsylvania.
What You’ll Do:
- Promptly respond to network outages.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and repair equipment in an efficient and timely manner.
- New construction and maintenance of existing infrastructure on towers, rooftops, and other communication structures to ensure consistent, best-in-class quality and reliability.
- Proactively communicate realistic timeline expectations for assigned tasks.
- Provide informational daily reporting on job progress and operational or maintenance issues.
- Become the on-site technical resource for sub-contractors during new construction.
- Terminate and splice fiber using cutting edge equipment and techniques.
- Participate in continuous trainings for new skillsets.
- Regular completion and passing score of all mandatory company certifications.
- Safely operate all supporting equipment, including vehicles, and rigging equipment.
- Regular daily travel.
- Other duties as assigned or needed.
- Successfully completed an Authorized Climber/Rescue course and received the course certificate.
- Experience rigging various communication structures and working with a capstan winch.
- Ability to drive a commercial motor vehicle and meet all driver qualification requirements mandated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration for drivers who do not require a commercial driver’s license (“CDL”).
- Willingness to take on and learn new tasks, as needed.
- Reliable and predictable availability.
- Reliable transportation.
- Must be highly motivated and proactive.
- Basic network and subnetting knowledge.
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office and using a PC.
- Ability to maintain clean, safe, and orderly working environments.
- Flexibility with regards to work priority changes.
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Microwave technology and/or millimeter experience.
- Experience with installation of mounts to towers and other communication structures.
- Microwave antenna & equipment installation, path alignment, and troubleshooting.
- Experience and knowledge of AC and DC power systems including wiring of both types.
- Experience with fusion splicing and troubleshooting fiber with OTDR.
- Experience terminating and installing various sizes and types of coax cabling from 3/8” to 1”.
- Capable of troubleshooting with Spectrum Analyzer and Cable/Antenna Analyzer.
- Knowledge of RF theory and understanding of signal flow concepts.
- Knowledge of various industry best practices for cabling, safety, and rigging.
- Valid OSHA 10 certification preferred.
- Intermediate to advanced PC knowledge.
- Ability to competently climb all types of structures and towers up to 600 feet if required; Majority of towers climbed are between 150-400 feet.
- Ability to work overtime, evenings, and on call required. Occasional weekend work is required as needed or as part of on-call.
- Ability to work outside or inside in hot and cold weather conditions for long periods of time.
- Long haul driving of commercial motor vehicles, sometimes up to 10 hours in a work shift; majority of driving is between 1- 4 hours.
- Required to be on feet/standing in one place 60% to 100% of the work shift.
- Required to lift/carry equipment and tools as follows:
- Over 150 lbs. – 1% of the time
- 75 – 150 lbs. – 5% of the time
- 25 to 75 lbs. – 50% of the time
- 1 to 25 lbs. – 90% of the time
- Travel is 75% - 100%. - Deploy from home, must be able to park take-home work vehicle.
- PA operations are typically between State College PA and Secaucus NJ along I-80.
- Occasional travel outside of these areas will be required as needed.
- Overnight stays will be required. Frequency is dependent on travel distance.
Please note that TowerPros operates commercial motor vehicles as a private carrier registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (the “FMCSA”), and the ability to drive TowerPros’ commercial motor vehicles is an essential function of this position. In order to comply with federal regulations, any candidate for this position will be required to meet all driver qualification requirements mandated by the FMCSA for non-CDL drivers of commercial motor vehicles and, as such, any offer for this position will be contingent upon TowerPros’ receipt of satisfactory driving records, background check results, drug screening results, and DOT physical results. As such, any candidates will be expected to sign necessary consent forms and provide information necessary to accomplish the foregoing, all in accordance with applicable law.
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of TowerPros. Since no job description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job will also be considered part of the job holder’s responsibility.
By submitting an application for this position, candidates acknowledge that they have read and understood this job description.
Any offer for this position shall be subject to TowerPros' receipt of background check results, driving records, and drug screening, as permitted by applicable law.
Benefits include:- Overtime eligibility
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Employer Paid Group Term Life and AD&D Insurance
- Paid vacation plus paid holidays
- Retirement plan with employer match
- Paid parental leave
- Wellness Programs