Quality Engineer - 3-6 month contract
About Filecoin Foundation
Filecoin Foundation (FF) is an independent organization that facilitates governance of the Filecoin network, funds critical development projects, supports the growth of the Filecoin ecosystem, and advocates for Filecoin and the decentralized web. In 2017, the creators of Filecoin envisioned that an independent Filecoin Foundation would serve as the long-term governance body for the Filecoin Ecosystem. They gave the Foundation the mandate to “grow an open ecosystem for decentralized storage” and to “give developers an open and sustainable platform to build, enhance and monetize those services.” They wanted the Foundation to be modeled on Foundations for other open source projects like the Apache Software Foundation, the Mozilla Foundation and the Linux Foundation. The Filecoin Foundation operates independently of Protocol Labs, the organization that designed and built the Filecoin network. As a member of our early-stage team, you will have the opportunity to help define our growth as the organization scales. At Filecoin Foundation, we are a fully remote organization and support a remote, collaborative, and inclusive working culture from anywhere in the world.
As part of the UX Improvement team, the Quality Engineer works to diagnose and fix errors and UX issues in lotus and other ecosystem (largely but not exclusively, Command Line Interface) tools.The role is varied - they will be working across a variety of tools and languages to make our tools the most accessible and user-friendly they can be.
As a Quality Engineer, you will...
- Be running, testing, breaking and fixing (“dogfooding”) the many tools (lotus, boost, venus, etc) in the Filecoin ecosystem.
- Analyze log and crash data to debug errors, file bugs and fix them.
- Working with the user researchers to improve the UX and messaging (including error messaging) of our command line tools.
- Command structures should be consistent and follow CLI best practices
- Error messages should be accurate, helpful, and actionable.
- Tools should be gracious and forgiving (“Did you mean?”)
- Working proactively and independently across a wide range of open source repositories (on Github), to update, fix and improve the world’s experience of filecoin.
You may be a fit for this role if you have these skills
- Enthusiasm for making tools that are clear and enjoyable to use.
- Familiarity with command line scripting, e.g. bash
- Linux. MacOS X.
- Git and Github.
- Passion for open-source software; bonus points for contributing to open-source projects
- Familiarity with User Research and UX testing methodologies, both qualitative and quantitative.
The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs.
Something looks off?