Senior Crypto Threat Analyst
At Elliptic, we believe cryptocurrency will play a huge role in the future of value transfer, and we care deeply about helping to build this future. As digital assets and cryptocurrency become more widely adopted, our products are essential to ensure cryptocurrency is safe and accessible to all.
Elliptic’s blockchain analytics solutions help prevent financial crime and allow cryptocurrencies to be used for good. The company is the global leader in detecting, preventing, and pursuing criminal activity in cryptocurrencies. Our products are used by some of the world’s most highly regulated banks and financial institutions, leading cryptocurrency exchanges, and government agencies to screen over $1 billion of transactions every single week.
The company has offices in London (Global HQ), New York City, and Singapore.. We are backed by leading institutions including Evolution Equity Partners, SoftBank, SBI Group, Albion VC, Octopus Ventures, SignalFire, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan, Paladin Capital, Santander InnoVentures, and Digital Currency Group.
To achieve our mission, we depend on our incredible team of Elliptites. Our values are reflected in everything we do and in every decision we make, both internally and outwardly to our customers. We actively encourage Elliptities to challenge the status quo and allow the freedom to innovate and learn everyday. We encourage new ideas and learning, whether that’s through collaboration, our curiosity sessions, or utilising your professional development budget - the team’s personal growth is key to our success.
About the Role
An exciting opportunity to apply your research skills to collect intelligence and develop expertise at the convergence of cybercrime and cryptoassets. You will investigate and monitor real-world cryptoasset use, both illicit and legitimate - from decentralized finance to darknet markets, and mining to malware.
Your work will directly contribute to Elliptic’s industry-leading intelligence dataset, which powers our products and enables financial institutions to screen wallets and transactions for risk and help to prevent financial crime.
Your insights will also form the basis of client-facing research as well as marketing content. Previous Elliptic research has been featured in the Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, Reuters, Bloomberg and BBC News.
You will share and present this research and insights directly with customers, regulators and internally.
Impact of the Role:
As a Senior Crypto Threat Analyst at Elliptic, your in-depth research on cryptoasset-related criminal activity will contribute to our industry-leading dataset, helping financial/ government institutions screen transactions and prevent financial crime. By collaborating with the data team, you'll enhance the dataset's accuracy and comprehensiveness. Your findings will also support client-facing research and marketing content, and directly with customers and regulators, solidifying Elliptic's position as a thought leader and ensuring a more secure future for the cryptocurrency ecosystem.
What you will do:
- Perform open source and darknet research to develop a deep understanding of emerging criminal use-cases for cryptoassets, and the cybercrime ecosystem more broadly, including ransomware, fraud, darknet markets and mixers.
- Ensure that Elliptic maintains coverage of the full spectrum of criminal actors engaged in illicit use of cryptoassets, and their relative importance.
- Collaborate with the data team to ensure that new actors are incorporated into our dataset.
- Take managed risks, always considering the impact on self and Elliptic’s of own actions.
Research and Content
- Under the direction of the Research Lead, manage collaborative research projects with internal stakeholders and/or external partners.
- Lead on the production of blogs, research reports and other marketing materials.
- Attend industry events to showcase Elliptic’s research to current and prospective clients.
- Represent the Research Team in internal stakeholder groups (for example the Content Oversight Group), always seeking to maximise the impact of the team’s research and content output to support the Company, while ensuring that wider resources are adequately managed.
- Establish professional relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Use Elliptic’s investigation tools and other resources to perform forensic analysis of cryptoasset transactions.
Engaging and Communicating
- Actively engage with public and private sector stakeholders to present and promote Elliptic’s insights.
You will be a great fit here if you:
- Have an eye for detail
- Curious about how criminals use crypto and blockchain technology
- Love researching and applying “better” practices to drive process improvement
- Love collaborating with others to solve problems
- Comfortable presenting to groups of people
Our ideal candidate:
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills - the ability to distil complex concepts and data into concise explanations
- 4+ years in an investigation, threat intelligence, cybersecurity or intelligence role within law enforcement with active exposure to crypto use in illicit finance.
- Formal training in Intelligence and Investigation (JMITC or similar)
- A deep understanding of cybercrime
- Open source intelligence and dark web research skills
- A technical understanding of cryptoassets and blockchains
- Published research on cybercrime
> How we work:
- Hybrid working and the option to work from almost anywhere for up to 90 days per year
- $650 Remote working budget to set up your home office space
> Learning & Development:
- $1,000 Learning & Development budget to use on anything (agreed with your manager) that contributes to your growth and development
- LinkedIn Learning subscription.
> Vacation/ Leave:
- Holidays: 25 days of annual leave + public holidays
- An extra day for your birthday
- Enhanced parental leave: we provide eligible employees, regardless of gender or whether they become a parent by birth or adoption, 16 weeks fully-paid leave and leave.
- Private Health Insurance
- Full access to Spill Mental Health Support
- £100 Crypto for you!
We know Diversity and Inclusion is much deeper than just hiring, but it’s important for us to mention it here. We welcome and embrace individuals of all backgrounds and identities at Elliptic, and this is an ongoing priority for us. We know incredible people don’t all think in the same way. We want to be challenged every day. We believe our diverse team of individuals underpins this by bringing creative thinking and innovation to Elliptic every day. We are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace, so we welcome applications from everyone, even if you may not think you fit all of the requirements of our roles. We foster an environment of psychological safety, where everyone feels comfortable to bring their whole self to work.
Something looks off?