Trading Systems Engineer
DRW is a technology-driven, diversified principal trading firm. We trade our own capital at our own risk, across a broad range of asset classes, instruments and strategies, in financial markets around the world. As the markets have evolved over the past 25 years, so has DRW – maximizing opportunities to include real estate, cryptoassets and venture capital. With over 1,000 employees at our Chicago headquarters and offices around the world, we work together to solve complex problems, challenge consensus and deliver meaningful results. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity and thoughtful collaboration.
As a Trading Systems Engineer, you’ll work closely with internal trading and technology teams and external parties. You will be investigating and resolving a wide variety of technical and business issues every day. Your work will range from addressing time-sensitive critical issues to managing long-term projects, such as new system rollouts and major platform changes. You will provide direct, hands-on support to trading desks on a daily basis and help define their technology requirements for other teams across the firm.
What you’ll be working on:
- Providing best-in-class support processes to ensure flawless operation of production trading technologies, flawless software deployment and configuration processes, and proactive monitoring and support to anticipate and avoid issues before they occur
- Ensuring maximum trading system availability to avoid missing any key trading opportunities
- Providing support for various trading groups’ production systems across a variety of asset classes and geographic locations
- Developing proprietary process automation and monitoring tools and leveraging third-party technologies as appropriate
- Providing support for proprietary trading systems deployed across a multi-platform production environment (primarily Linux with a little Windows)
- Troubleshooting trading system production incidents resulting from internal (proprietary software / systems) or external factors (markets, data feeds, telecommunication lines)
- Automating software configuration and rollout procedures to reduce manual configuration errors and strive for flawless change management
- Supporting core market connectivity and correspond with exchanges regarding trade order activity, connectivity, and other related technical support issues
- Working interactively with DBAs, core development teams, back office systems, QA Engineers, Infrastructure and management teams when deploying production releases and troubleshooting technical issues
What we are looking for:
- 3+ years of experience working with Linux (CentOS and/or Ubuntu experience is a plus)
- Previous experience working in the trading industry supporting electronic trading systems
- Superior troubleshooting skills with respect to trading systems and their interaction with the Linux operating system and network communications
- Previous script development experience, preferably with Python or Perl
- Prior experience supporting high performance applications, process monitoring, and troubleshooting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong documentation and knowledge management skills
- Evidence of ongoing personal and professional growth through learning and applying new skills and knowledge
- Prior experience working with FIX protocol and alternative exchange protocols
- Previous SQL experience, including queries/updates/table creation/basic database maintenance
- Flexibility to work a rotating shift schedule as needs dictate
- Self-motivation and intellectual curiosity; desire to continually self-improve and seek continual improvements in production support function
- High level of ownership and accountability, reliability, and strong follow through
- Ability to handle pressure and time constraints with composure
- Strong organizational skills, including ability to effectively plan and prioritize
For more information about DRW's processing activities and our use of job applicants' data, please view our Privacy Notice at https://drw.com/privacy-notice.
California residents, please review the California Privacy Notice for information about certain legal rights at https://drw.com/california-privacy-notice.