Senior Manager, Financial Crimes Compliance Investigations
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Financial Crime Compliance Services (FCCS) is a shared services model supporting global financial crimes operations governance and execution of Coinbase’s Anti-Money Laundering regulatory obligations for Enhanced Due Diligence, transaction monitoring, and suspicious activity reporting. FCCS Investigations is specifically responsible for the design, implementation, and effectiveness of Coinbase’s compliance with suspicious activity monitoring and reporting requirements across all Coinbase regulated entities and jurisdictions globally.
Coinbase is seeking a seasoned Financial Crime Compliance (FCC) Investigations expert to lead a highly skilled global investigations team in support of Coinbase’s mission of economic freedom and ensuring Coinbase remains the most trusted exchange. The Senior Manager, FCCS Investigations will drive the FCCS global investigations strategy, lead multiple investigation teams across the globe, and make final decisions on matters impacting Coinbase’s suspicious activity reporting compliance program. The role is expected to collaborate with and influence senior stakeholders across the organization to ensure effective execution of AML/CTF Compliance program requirements. The Senior Manager, FCCS Services serves as the directly accountable party to Coinbase and regulatory agencies for the design, implementation, and effectiveness of transaction monitoring and suspicious activity reporting programs.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties): To be completed by all business teams except Eng.
- Own, develop and drive Coinbase’s global investigations strategy
- Manage, develop, and lead high performing investigations teams across all Coinbase jurisdictions globally
- Ensure adherence and implementation of comprehensive investigations policies, procedures, and controls across all products and regulated jurisdictions.
- Provide guidance and oversight of investigations functions performed by first line compliance operations teams
- Partner with Compliance Technology to ensure appropriate monitoring, controls, and surveillance systems are in place to detect and report suspicious activity on a global scale leveraging cutting edge technology and analytical tools.
- Provide periodic reporting for senior management and internal stakeholders on the status, health, and emerging risks across the Global Investigations program
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders including Internal Audit, FCC Governance, Legal, Product, Compliance Technology, Money Laundering Reporting Officers (MLROs), and regulatory agencies in matters related to global investigations.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements): To be completed by all business teams except Eng.
- 10+ years experience in AML compliance and/or investigations
- 2+ years of leadership and team management over a global team
- Detailed knowledge of anti-money laundering, counter-terrorist financing, and sanctions risks and regulations (e.g., BSA, 4MLD, FinCEN CDD Rule, OFAC Sanctions, USA PATRIOT Act, FINRA AML rules, etc.)
- Proven record of scaling global investigations/FIU teams across multiple regulated jurisdictions
- Expert in investigative techniques to mitigate financial crime risks across AML, CTF, and fraud
- Experience in cryptocurrency investigations and blockchain analysis
- Track record of implementing innovative solutions/technologies to combat financial crime risk
- Ability to exercise sound risk judgment in managing and escalating identified risk issues
- Strong executive communication skills
Nice to haves:
- Law enforcement background
- Fintech/startup experience
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please complete this intake form to let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.