Staff Software Engineer, Frontend - Consumer
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
The Coinbase Wallet Team's mission is to make Coinbase Wallet #1 self custody wallet measured by MTU’s and download share. Wallet is the future of web3 focused on providing cutting edge experience enabling users to
- Seamlessly store and manage all of your crypto, NFTs, and multiple wallets in one place
- Support for hundreds of thousands of tokens and dapps
- Explore the decentralized web on your phone or browser
- Protect your digital assets with industry-leading security
You will join Coinbase Wallet APEX (Acquisition and App Experience) Team focused on Acquiring users through retail, web and international focused growth efforts and retain them with high quality customer focused app experience.
- Acquisition: Create powerful features enabling upsell integrations with Coinbase Retail. Simultaneously, prioritize international growth by going deep in key countries and broad in other countries. Furthermore, the team will be focused on innovating with an international mindset emphasizing exploration of region specific use-cases.
- App Experience: Deliver cutting edge Dapp Browser and Listing UI, Notifications hub and platform, Trusted Customer Council and Product Excellence program and Crypto Education and Help Center promoting Coinbase Crypto University
As a Staff engineer at Coinbase, you will be a steward of our architecture, operations, scale, and security. You will help us recruit and develop world-class engineers that represent the best in the industry. You will architect, design, and review platforms that support the company’s vision. You will span technologies from cloud to the blockchain. You will work ruthlessly to make our systems safe, our developers productive, and our deliverables trustworthy. You will look outward as well as inward, aligning our executive team and product strategy with changes in technology, and help us create an innovative culture.
What you’ll be doing:
- Design, develop, deploy, and operate technical architecture and systems. Identify opportunities to improve existing systems/workflows for performance, scale, speed, and accuracy. Ruthlessly optimize for productivity - your own and that of the entire engineering team.
- Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and processes for regular assessment and improvement. Participate and drive operational reviews and hold both ICs and managers accountable for improvements. Be a relentless advocate for improving the customer experience created by our architecture and code outcomes.
- Review all feature designs within your product area and across the company for cross-cutting projects. Be an owner of the security, safety, scale, operational integrity, and architectural clarity of these designs.
- Understand the trends within the company and in the industry at large. Call out problematic ideas and provide appropriate push-back to engineers, managers, and executives.
- Debugging extremely difficult technical problems, and making systems and products both work better and are easier to deploy, own, operate and diagnose.
- Help with leadership recruiting efforts for hiring senior engineers and managers. Recruit others like yourself and serve as a beacon to the best engineers on the planet through blogs, conference presentations, and other external engagements and/or social media.
- Coach and mentor talented engineers by giving them actionable feedback and setting clear goals. Assist in calibrating and developing the engineering team as a whole.
What we look for in you:
- 8+ years of experience in software engineering
- You’ve experienced architecting and developing solutions to ambiguous problems with significant impact
- Strong technical skills for system design and coding
- Comfortable with leading large cross-functional initiatives, and collaborating with product managers, UX designers, and engineering teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a bias toward open, transparent cultural practices.
- Excellent skills of mentoring, maturity, dealing with conflict and communication - not just within the team but also across the product group and/or all of engineering.
- You have deep expertise with React and React Native.
Nice to haves:
- Have previous experience at a fast paced, high growth stage internet/software company
- Embodies our values: Positive energy, continuous learning, clear communication, efficient execution, and commitment to building an inclusive environment
PID - GFE06IN
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.