Regulatory & Policy Counsel
Bain Capital Crypto
Who We Are:
Bain Capital, LP is one of the world’s leading private multi-asset alternative investment firms with more than $160 billion of assets under management that creates lasting impact for our investors, teams, businesses, and the communities in which we live. Since our founding in 1984, we’ve applied our insight and experience to organically expand into several asset classes including private equity, credit, public equity and venture capital. We leverage our shared platform to capture cross-asset class opportunities in strategic areas of focus. With offices on four continents, our global team aligns our interests with those of our investors for lasting impact.
Bain Capital Crypto is a venture capital fund adviser whose $560 million inaugural fund invests exclusively in the crypto ecosystem. Our team of investors, researchers, and regulatory experts support projects building blockchain-based infrastructure and applications from the incubation through growth stage, with a highly technical and collaborative approach. We believe that crypto represents one of the most interesting and important technological developments since the advent of the internet, and that a sensible policy and regulatory framework is needed to realize its promise of more open, community-driven, and decentralized systems.
To that end, we are building a team with unmatched technological, regulatory, and policy expertise that can roll up its sleeves and collaborate alongside portfolio companies, support the most exciting and innovative projects in crypto, and help shape the crypto regulatory and policy landscape in a way that both encourages innovation and addresses the risks posed by this paradigm-shifting technology.
What You’ll Do:
Bain Capital Crypto’s Regulatory and Policy team seeks to hire its first full-time Regulatory & Policy Counsel, to report to the Partner and Head of Regulatory & Policy. This person will work closely with our investment and research teams to provide strategic regulatory advice to our portfolio companies, conduct regulatory diligence on potential investments, and engage in education and advocacy efforts to support our portfolio and the broader crypto industry. They will also take a leading role in policy education and engagement to help shape a regulatory environment conducive to innovation, including research and writing on important crypto regulatory topics and preparing for and participating in meetings with policymakers.
The role can be remote, in-person at our New York City or San Francisco office, or hybrid. Occasional in-person meetings and travel will be required.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to get a bird’s-eye view of the crypto ecosystem, collaborate with visionary founders and builders, work on the most cutting edge legal, regulatory, and policy issues in crypto, and help shape the next generation of the internet and economy.
What You’ll Bring:
- J.D. degree
- 2-5 years’ experience working in a role involving U.S. financial regulations in the context of crypto-related matters, for example at a law firm, in-house, or in government.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following regulatory areas: federal and state securities laws, BSA/AML/KYC/sanctions compliance and federal and state money transmitter and virtual currency licensing regimes, and payments/banking laws.
- Passion and curiosity about crypto policy and blockchain technology, especially decentralized protocols and applications.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of crypto-related regulations in the EU and other regions a plus.
- NYC range: $200 to $300K total cash
- Actual base salary will be determined by several components including but not limited to role, function, level, experience, qualifications and geographic location.
- Compensation range does not include other forms of compensation or benefits offered in connection with the advertised role.
- Bain Capital offers a competitive benefits package.
Effective November 1, 2021, all new U.S. hires must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (e.g. 14 days past their final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine and if eligible, have received their COVID-19 booster) or have received a religious or medical exemption from Bain Capital’s Human Resources team.
Bain Capital is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.