Partner 20, Chief of Staff, Growth
Partner 20, Chief of Staff, Growth
Founded in Silicon Valley in 2009 by Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz, Andreessen Horowitz (known as "a16z") is a venture capital firm that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We are stage agnostic: We invest in seed to venture to late-stage technology companies, across bio + healthcare, consumer, crypto, enterprise, fintech, games, and companies building toward American dynamism. a16z has $35B in assets under management across multiple funds.
We’ve established a team that is defined by respect for the entrepreneur and the company-building process; we know what it’s like to be in the founder’s shoes. We’ve invested in companies like Anduril, Cedar, Coinbase, Databricks, Figma, Fivetran, Flock Safety, Loom, Roblox, and Stripe. Our team is at the forefront of new technology, helping founders and their companies impact and change the world.
We are looking to bring on a dynamic Chief of Staff on our Growth team. This pivotal role serves as a vital link between our Investment Team and Operating Team members, with a focus on developing and implementing scalable processes, tools, and reports to support the Growth team and our portfolio companies.
This position plays a crucial role at the forefront of our operations, steering the a16z Growth deal process from the initial stages through to deal closure and subsequent onboarding. Additionally, it involves the strategic management of our extensive upstream investment network of entrepreneurs and referrers to ensure active and meaningful engagement. Responsibilities in this role will include:
- Program management of our deal process, collaborating effectively across various teams including our growth investing team, back-office, and operational teams.
- Collecting, organizing, and analyzing data from multiple sources to facilitate dashboards, analysis, and presentations.
- Actively identifying and implementing new structures, systems, and processes; enhancing our team’s efficiency by both proactively seeking out and reactively responding to opportunities for workflow improvements.
We are looking for an individual who is passionate about driving significant change through high-impact projects, ensuring the smooth running of our processes with robust organizational abilities who can focus on the details. This role requires a commitment to maintaining the highest standards of integrity and confidentiality, coupled with a passion for delving into the intricacies of growth, scalability, and embracing diverse responsibilities.
To join our team, you should be excited to:
- Strategically partner with our growth fund leadership team, serving as a key liaison between the investing team and operating teams
- Build a strong network of relationships, identifying opportunities for process improvements and operational projects
- Orchestrate strategic and complex cross-functional business activities and projects with sharp business acuity, creativity, and attention to detail
- Own end to end deal operations process from term sheet to wiring, ensuring appropriate reviews, diligence, and sign off are complete
- Design & execute on operational processes, delivering data-driven insights, managing high-impact projects, and executing on strategic initiatives
- Support Fund Strategy and Investor Relations teams on key programs, including our LP Summit, Fund updates and analysis of Growth Fund metrics
- Scale our system for network tracking and engagement across multiple General Partners
- Maintain continuous tracking, reporting and dashboards are supporting decision making across the Growth investing & operating teams
- Support planning, design and execution of all growth community events, including dinners, summits and more
- Prepare Growth General Partners for board meetings and CEO meetings, including reporting & financial updates
- High level of integrity, stellar judgment, and discretion to handle and manage the full scope of highly sensitive, confidential, and non-public information
- Ability to drive results by directing cross-functional teams with people at different levels across disparate groups
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels
- Critical thinking and analytical/problem-solving skills, and the ability to combine and balance qualitative analysis with a proven understanding of strategy, operations, interpersonal and technical competencies
- Ability to to prioritize and manage work and trade-offs against critical project timelines in fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Advanced proficiency with Salesforce, Looker, LinkedIn, GSuite, Slack and Zoom
- Bachelor’s degree; 5+ years of experience including relevant experience working at a technology company as a Chief of Staff, business operations, program management or sales operations
The anticipated salary range for this role is between $220,000-$259,000, actual starting pay may vary based on a range of factors which can include experience, skills, and scope.
This role is eligible to participate in the a16z carry program and various discretionary bonus programs as well as benefit and perquisite plans including health, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, 401K plan, vacation, and sick leave.
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
At a16z we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enables us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, our portfolio companies, and the World.
Our organization participates in E-Verify. Click here to learn about E-Verify.
Andreessen Horowitz hereby reserves the right to make use of any unsolicited resumes received from outside recruiting agencies and / or individual recruiters without being responsible for payment of any fees asserted from the use of unsolicited resumes.