Partner 22, Strategic Business Finance
Partner 22, Strategic Business Finance
Founded in Silicon Valley in 2009 by Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz, Andreessen Horowitz (known as "a16z") is a venture capital firm that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We are stage agnostic: We invest in seed to venture to late-stage technology companies, across bio + healthcare, consumer, crypto, enterprise, fintech, games, and companies building toward American dynamism. a16z has $35B in assets under management across multiple funds.
We’ve established a team that is defined by respect for the entrepreneur and the company-building process; we know what it’s like to be in the founder’s shoes. We’ve invested in companies like Affirm, Airbnb, Coinbase, Databricks, Devoted Health, EQRx, Figma, GitHub, Instacart, OpenSea, Roblox, Stripe, and Substack. Our team is at the forefront of new technology, helping founders and their companies impact and change the world.
Our Strategic Business Finance Partner is an individual contributor who will be a key member of a16z’s internal strategic finance team. The team is responsible for empowering our internal stakeholders with the insights needed to be fully informed and effective decision makers, armed with reliable, relevant and accurate data that influences, impacts and drives business value.
In this role, you will be building 0 to 1 finance operations, systems and processes, partnering with senior leaders to strategize and drive execution for ongoing objectives including budgeting and forecasting, reporting and other strategic operational and financial analyses. We are seeking a highly qualified, curious and resourceful Finance professional who is passionate about taking on new challenges and going the extra mile, always looking for ways to innovate through better, more efficient ways to deliver impactful results.
To join our team, you should be excited to:
- Build, build, build with an eye (and a plan) towards automation and operational excellence.
- Ensure complete data accuracy and drive continuous improvement to data reliability.
- Serve as the key financial business partner and thought partner to leaders across a16z by proactively collaborating and empowering them with insights into achieving strong business results.
- Own and develop financial models (P&L, BvA, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow), including budgeting, forecasting and longer-term strategic planning for fund and management company entities.
- Build, develop, implement and maintain strong and robust processes and self-served systems to support financial planning & analysis activities.
- Build and standardize processes, expedite workflows and ensure conformance to policies and procedures. Create new and innovative ways to track business performance and automate reporting/analytics to put more data directly in the hands of business users.
- Help build out a scalable strategic finance function with the ability to gain deep experience within our verticals and central teams.
- Support strategic ad-hoc analysis / projects related to a16z's priorities and initiatives.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business, Economics or equivalent discipline; MBA preferred
- 8+ years of progressive experience. Internal FP&A/strategic finance is a must (preferably at a venture backed tech startup); a mix of internal FP&A experience plus time in investment banking/ private equity/management consulting and/or big tech is preferred
- Proven experience with building and implementing strategic finance initiatives, programs and processes from the ground up
- Data driven: you must possess excellent analytical and financial modeling skills with the ability to analyze raw data, draw succinct and visual conclusions, and develop actionable recommendations
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cross-functionally across various groups, quickly gaining leadership trust
- Excellent communication skills with a track record of presenting complex analysis to executives and senior management
Who You Are
- Get things done with velocity at the highest standards. Meticulously organized, able to work independently and is driven by the creation and execution of processes.
- Ability and desire to roll up your sleeves and be hands-on in an entrepreneurial fast-paced environment; a self-starter with a growth mindset who loves wearing different hats and has an enthusiastic spirit and attitude that no job is too small or too big.
- Quantitative nature with the ability to translate numbers into words and visuals. Extremely proficient in Excel and G-Suite with the thorough knowledge of building advanced models and visualizations.
- Must be a team player and a fast learner who works effectively and is able to juggle a variety of responsibilities, with a balance of responsiveness and thoughtfulness on both details and big picture.
- Strong understanding of financial software integrations and proven experience building and developing planning infrastructure is a plus. Working knowledge of Python and other programming languages is a plus.
The anticipated salary range for this role is between $248,000-$289,000, actual starting pay may vary based on a range of factors which can include experience, skills, and scope.
This role is eligible to participate in the a16z Carry program and various discretionary bonus programs as well as benefit and perquisite plans including health, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, 401K plan, vacation, and sick leave.
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
At a16z we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enables us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, our portfolio companies, and the World.
Our organization participates in E-Verify. Click here to learn about E-Verify.
Andreessen Horowitz hereby reserves the right to make use of any unsolicited resumes received from outside recruiting agencies and / or individual recruiters without being responsible for payment of any fees asserted from the use of unsolicited resumes.